Here are seven tips to make your workation greener:
1. Discover Closer Destinations 🌍: Ever thought that paradise might be closer than you think? Before jetting off to far-flung destinations, discover hidden gems in your neighboring countries. It's eco-friendly and a great way to boost local tourism.
2. Stay Longer ⏳: Already soaking up the sun on vacation? Why rush back? Extend your stay and work remotely. Fewer flights mean less carbon footprint, and you get to immerse yourself deeper in the local culture.
3. Opt for Green Transportation 🚂: Rethink if that flight is truly necessary. Trains or buses are often more sustainable alternatives and provide a unique travel experience. And once you're there, embrace public transport, bicycles, or your own two feet. If driving isa must, go electric! 🚴♂️🔌
4. Choose Eco-Friendly Accommodations and Activities 🏡🌳: Look for eco-friendly lodgings that have sustainable practices in place, such as water conservation, renewable energy usage, and waste reduction. Only do activities that have minimal environmental impact. For instance, choose kayaking over jet skiing.
5. Power Down & Unplug 🔌: Turn off lights, appliances, and air conditioning when not in use. Consider using a fan instead of air conditioning. Unplug devices – televisions, laptops, phone chargers, and even microwaves suck electricity all daylong. When not in use, pull the plug to save energy.
And here's a pro-tip: Declutter digitally! While working, try to reduce unnecessary downloads and excessive device usage. This not only conserves energy but also enhances productivity.
6. Watch your waste 🚯
Workations often mean short stays, leading to single-use items and excessive packaging. To avoid this, you could:
· When planning your stay, look out for properties that no longer offer single-use plastic products, such as mini shampoos.
· Pack a reusable water bottle, cutlery, coffee cup, straw, etc.
· Swap bottles for soap bars. They're compact, and their eco-footprint is roughly 25% lighter.
· Embrace local markets for fresh produce, reducing the need for packaged goods. If you haveleftovers, consider taking them for later or composting them.
· Familiarize yourself with the local recycling and composting laws.
7. Neutralize Your Travel Footprint 🌱
There are several ways to offset your CO2 emissions, such as Reforestation andAfforestation projects, Renewable Energy Projects, or carbon capture and storage technologies that capture and remove existing CO2 from the hemisphere.
And here's some good news: Until the end of October, WorkFlex is also donating €5 for EVERY WORKATION AND BUSINESS TRIP to CLIMEWORKS’ AIR CAPTURE AND STORAGE.
Read more about our initiative here
With these tips, you can work productively while also doing your part for the environment. A sustainable workation benefits everyone – you, the local community, and our planet. 🌍🍃